November 13, 2012

When the Sun Comes Out

A Hurricane. An Election. A Snowstorm. And some real life in between.

Welcome to the last 2-weeks.

As much as it is necessary to "get back to normal," I find myself feeling very guilty in trying to do so. Just this morning, it took the image on the front page of the NY Times as I stood online for my morning fill-up: there lies Breezy Point amid massive destruction. Or the story of my friend still without heat & hot water. How about the knowledge that the holidays are fast approaching those who have lost everything? Maybe it's the idea that some people I love are so distraught over the outcome of the election - how can that be? We saw women, equality and our President take the majority! I'm rejoicing, yet others I know are convinced the world is coming to an end.

Is this "normal" now?

I can't help but think about Thanksgiving next week, and all that entails. The feast, the family, the gratitude. I must admit I can't get too fixated on the "details" this go around: if the napkins aren't folded perfectly, and the table setting isn't something that's Instagram-worthy, that's okay. Because the people who sit around the table are the most important part. Being with each other. With a roof over our heads. Hot water coming out of the tap. There is nothing like a national disaster alongside a great political outcome to break it down to what really matters, right? I'm in no way advocating to abandon the holidays, or to not rejoice in what we have - quite the contrary! What I am saying is how relevant and necessary it is to acknowledge our brothers & sisters as we do so. It's about holding both things in our hands at the same time: gratitude and empathy, thankfulness and humility. We owe that to those who are suffering - no matter who or where they are.

I have returned here with so much to share, and will continue to hold outfits, recipes, and the "perfect" stocking stuffers in the same hand as this overwhelming feeling that it is a blessing and gift to even have the opportunity to write about them. To experience them. To even have the clothing that Amy can style and Jim can photograph. Moving forward, it is of equal importance for me to share more of my own life's day-to-day that goes far beyond the things I can take photographs of.

After all, I founded this blog to talk about life + style ... and the only reason I can fully enjoy where I am today is because of a whole bunch of real life in between. It's been colorful to say the least, and I hope you'll join me as we talk about mine and yours a whole lot more!

xx JN

No comments:

Post a Comment