January 27, 2012

Sugar and Flour and Migraines ... oh, my!

{ image via Caitlin McGauley }

Choices.
Consequences.
Migraines?

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Frustration.
Treximet.
Post-migraine hangover.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Yeah, not so much, friends.

I knew it was time to make a different choice when my 7-1/2 year old said, "Momma, can you pleeeeeeeeeeease not get a migraine today?"

I saw doctors. I kept journals. I had CT-scans.

But I continued to ask, "Why. Is. My. Head. Still. Hurting?"

I must admit I am the type of person who strives to find a balance between holistic medicine and traditional medicine. From my own personal experience, I have truly seen the benefit of both. However, I tend to lean toward the side of holistic when I hear, "I'm not sure what's causing it, but let's try another medication."

This mama is all about identifying the root cause.

Once I began to realize we were starting to embark on a similar medicinal journey with my recurring migraines, I had to wonder if the "garbage in, garbage out" scenario was happening with my body. When the CT of my sinuses came back clean as a whistle, my ENT deemed my migraines were not sinus-triggered. And although I knew there were more avenues to explore, I started to take notice of what I was putting in my body every day. My daily cocktail of Allegra-D, Nexium and now what seemed to be one too many Treximet were on the menu. But what about vitamin intake? Fluids? Am I eating vegetables? Or more over, what am I eating religiously?

Chocolate.
No meat.
Too many refined carbs. (But the Trader Joe's pita chips are GOOD!)
Diet Pepsi.

Yeah, not so much, friends.

I have been down the "no sugar, no flour" path a few different times in my life - always as a holistic solution to a health issue. So I thought, alright ... let's try it again.

January 4th was the last day I consumed refined flour & refined sugar. And turned to leafy greens, tons of veggies, water, green tea, green drinks and good protein.

And not a migraine since.

Choices.
Changes.
Progress.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

xo JN

No comments:

Post a Comment