December 15, 2011

Sweet & Savory Couple

This weekend I prepared my 3-Bean Chili for a function I was attending on Sunday - because I was transporting and serving the chili outside of my home, I knew that lugging a bunch of garnish with me wasn't an option. So, instead, I thought I would prepare homemade cornbread to accompany it.

If you're looking for a cornbread recipe that isn't too dry, has great flavor, and an extra added twist, you just might love this:


Cheddar & Chive Cornbread

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons baking powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 cups milk
3 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
8 oz. extra-sharp Cheddar, grated
1/3 cup chopped scallions

Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the milk, eggs, and butter. With a wooden spoon, stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until most of the lumps are dissolved. Do not overmix! Mix in 2 cups of the grated Cheddar and the scallions and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 20-minutes.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Grease a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking pan.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining grated Cheddar and extra scallions. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean. Cool and cut into large squares. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Recipe adapted from The Barefoot Contessa.

Aren't they so cute together?


No comments:

Post a Comment